Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wild Wine

A friend of mine has an enormous tree covered in wild grapevine. Needless to say I climbed my scrawny ass up there and got a large paper bag full of grapes (after asking permission from both tree and grapevine). I put the bag into my freezer to for two reasons. 1st, to kill off any creepy crawlies that may have come with the berries. 2nd, to freeze the juice inside the berry, which breaks the cell wall, to help extract the juice.

After freezing for a few days I sat down and pulled the choicest berries from their clusters and placed them in a bowl.

Recipe:   Sept. 21, 2011
2 1/2 - 3 lbs wild grapes
1 lb white cane sugar

The sugar went into the jug first, then the frozen berries. Over that I poured near boiling water. Then shake till sugar is mixed. I gave it a little while to make sure that it was "blood temperature" then I added a dash of red star wine yeast. I want some highly flocculent yeast to hopefully help pull some of the wild yeast out of the wine. But I want the wild yeast present on the grapes to hopefully be dominate to fully showcase this particular grape.

No comments:

Post a Comment