Tuesday, September 13, 2011

An Idea!

This is something that struck my brain today (Tuesday Sept. 13, 2011). If soaking grain helps predigest the gluten and other inhibitors found in the grain, would soaking the (beer) grains before the mash do the same?

My family has decided to go gluten free because of my son. This could have put a dampener on my brewing if I did not totally enjoy wines and meads as well. But the desire for a good beer is still there.

I have known about sour dough starters for a while now. I have also known that soaking grains (wheat flour usually) over night pre-digests the anti-nutrients and gluten (as well as some other stuff) present in the grain.  Now I am thinking about applying this to my brewing, but some questions I have are "will the gluten be broken down enough?" "will there still be enough starch to convert to sugar?" "will this even work?"

I plan on (someday soon) trying my hand at a small batch and feeding it to a friend with celiacs (and yes he will know about it before I even get the grain).

If any of you have tried this or know someone who has or even have experience with fermented grain bread and sourdough starters let me know, I would love some help here.

No comments:

Post a Comment