Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Hard Cider

So this year my apple tree out front actually produced some apples. They are small but really sweet, and since they were falling off the tree I decided to harvest some and make some hard cider.

Recipe:
1 Basket full of apples
1 lb. white table sugar

After juicing the apples I was able to get about 1 gallon of juice and some pulp. I let this settle out over a day and then transferred the juice to another gallon carboy and added the pound of sugar. The natural yeast on the apples got this going really quickly but it still took about 2 weeks to finish out.

I crashed it for a couple nights in my fridge and racked it to a half gallon growler to go to a friends house where we all drank it and thoroughly  enjoyed it.

I also have a second batch going with apples from another tree (not mine) but this group yeilded only 1/2 gallon of goodness that is still going in a clear half gallon growler. 

Unfortunately I did not get a gravity reading on either of these but im guessing it to be around 4.5 to 5 abv.

No comments:

Post a Comment