Saturday, July 9, 2011

"Take a Chance"

I have started my first spontaneous fermentation. On July 4th 2011 at 3:15 pm I mixed 1.75 cups raw honey with 4 cups warm water in a 1/2 gallon mason jar. Initial Gravity reading was 1.130. I used this as a starter for a larger batch.



  As you can see the initial starter was working fine. I had it sitting in the corner of my kitchen by an open window with a washcloth rubber-banded around the top. I (or my wife) would stir this with a chopstick 2-3 times a day. by the second day it was starting and by the third it was really starting off. I waited till day five to make sure that the yeast had really taken hold of what was there because I was adding it to four gallons of water which I did at 2:00 today July 9th, 2011.




The gravity reading after the rest of the 5 lbs, and 4 gallons were added was 1.048 with a estimated finishing gravity of 1.012 (according to Qbrew, but I personally think it might go lower.), and estimated A.B.V. of 4.7 (we'll see about that).

I have moved the carboy to the brew corner of my basement where I will let it sit for 1-2 weeks before either transferring it or bottling it depending on what happens. I might take a gallon of this and dry-herb it for another couple weeks. Maybe with some oak chips and coffee beans, or with some Borage.

No comments:

Post a Comment