Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spiced Mead

Thurs. Feb. 17 2011
I am trying my hand at another mead. Its going to be kinda small but that will be okay. I have 5 lbs of raw honey from Honey Gardens and I'm making 3 gallons.

Recipe
10 3inch long pieces of cinnimon stick (broken)
3 nutmeg (chopped)
2 tablespoon (approx.) whole all spice

5 lbs honey (raw)

3 gallons water (VT well)

I boiled the spices in half the watter with top on for 1 hour then strained. Used the hot decotion to "melt" the raw honey. poured the mixture into the 3 gallon carboy and added cold water from tap (no I'm not worried about contamination) till full (well the top line at least, I need to leave some head room).

Starting gravity was 1.062

The next morning
I popped off the rubber cork and airlock off and just pour the dry Red Star Premier Curvee yeast straight in. I replaced the cork and went to work.

That night
Fermentation had officially started.

No comments:

Post a Comment