Saturday, January 22, 2011

Yarrow Barleywine

My wife @sidheherbal bought me a book called "Sacred and Healing Herbal Healing Beers". In it is a entire chapter on Psychotropic beers. I wanted to try my hand at Gruit but I'm unable to easily locate two of the ingredients, so I went with just one. Yarrow.
I did not have the fresh Yarrow (although it grows rampant in my yard) and since it is my first time using a even slightly Psychotropic herb (in brewing), I decided to use a little less than that recipe calls for, and since I was already changing the recipe I just went for the gusto and totally changed it.

7 3/4 lbs light malt extract
1 lb American Munich
1 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Wheat
1 lb Flaked Oat

1 1/2 ounce Yarrow

I am not sure what temp I mashed the grains at, I just brought 2 1/2 gallons water to right before a boil and dumped the muslin bag of grain in then set my electric stove on low and left it for an hour.










Then I used my fermenter bucket and a large strainer as a cheap batch sparging system. I then used 2 gallons hot water from my tap and rinsed the grains, then poured that back into my brew pot.






Added the extract.


I know most say to boil your wort for at least an hour before chilling but I'm lazy. I brought my wort to a boil (which took at least 30 minutes) then tossed 1 ounce of yarrow into the pot and turned off the burner and put on a lid. I let that sit for 45 minutes before transferring to the fermenter bucket where I had 1 gallon cold water from my tap (keep in mind I have a well and it wicked cold out there) .






I am going  to let that sit until tomorrow morning when I will pitch the yeast. I usually do a starter but I think this beer is big enough that I wont this time, I am just going to open the pack of dry yeast and toss it in

-Next Morning-
After some coffee and a bagel I check gravity. It reads 1.052. It's a little low for what my calculations said but no matter to me. I cut open the packet of yeast and pour it into the fermenter, snap on the lid and put in an air lock.

-That Evening-
It is bubbling away nicely. I hope there is enough head space and I don't wined up with a mess.

-Update  Jan. 30 2011-
Just finished transferring to secondary. It probably could have gone another 2-3 days but as I have stated earlier I am an impatient brewer and that is probably my downfall. The hydrometer test was at 1.28 as of now but since I lost the bottom of my raking cane more troob went into the secondary than usual so there is still plenty of room for improvement. I will let this set in the glass secondary until it's clear (or I "deem" it clear) which I hope will only take a week but it may take longer. I still do not know what I want to prime (if I want to prime) with. I might get some maple syrup or maybe get an extra 1/2 cup malt from my next batch, or maybe just use some turbinado sugar. Ill take suggestions and consider them seriously.

-Update Feb. 15 2011-
Well its been longer than a week but hey its all right. So I finally bottled the Yarrow Barleywine that did not really turn out a Barleywine. It got stuck around 1.024 for the last week so I only used 1/4 cup maple syrup to prime with. It may not be enough or it may be too much only time will tell. Stay tuned for the first tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment